How long will a home renovation take? Start preparing now to be ready for the holidays!
I know, I know… it’s still summer (though the air is a bit more brisk these days), and kids are JUST heading back to school, but if you’re going to embark on any home renovations to impress your holiday guests, it’s time to start your planning!
Especially if you’re considering a remodel of one of the key areas of your home – the kitchen or a bathroom. Even a guest room may take longer than you think – unless you have a solid plan in place.
Here are the timeline estimates that we give our clients for the most requested areas to complete in time for the holidays.
Kitchen: The Hub of the Home
- Planning & Design = 4-8 weeks (the fun part!)
- Collecting Bids, Hiring a Contractor & Getting Permits if needed = 4 weeks (we can help shorten this time – and reduce headaches – by providing you with our resource list of trusted contractors)
- Construction = 6-12 weeks (depending on the extent of the remodel, this could take even longer, and you may want to consider holding off on construction until after the holidays if time is getting tight)
- Putting on Your Finishing Touches (or a little buffer time in case one part of the process takes a little longer than expected) = 1-2 weeks
Total Time = 15 – 26 weeks. ~ 3 1/2 – 6 months up to 9 months, depending on just how much of a remodel you’re looking for
Bathroom: A great investment for resell & your own enjoyment
- Planning & Design = 4-6 weeks
- Collecting Bids & Hiring Contractors = 4 weeks
- Construction = 6-8 weeks (similar to kitchens, if you’re planning to expand your bathroom, or move plumbing & electrical, this could take longer, and you may want to get your plans ready to start after the holidays)
- Buffer time: 1-2 weeks
Total Time = 15 – 20 weeks. ~ 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 months
Guest Room: Give your guests a welcoming place to stay
- Planning & Design = 3-5 weeks
- Finding the right contractor(s) & getting on their schedule = 2 weeks
- Renovations = 2-4 weeks (A fresh coat of paint, and new bedding can really make a difference in giving your guests a treat when they stay with you)
- Shopping for all the finishing touches = 2-4 weeks (If you’d like to add custom window treatments or bedding, see timeline below)
Total Time = 9 – 15 weeks. ~ 2 – 3 1/2 months
Custom Window Treatments: Complete your home’s decor
(similar timeline for bedding, drapes, and blinds)
- Planning & Design = 1-2 weeks
- Creating your Custom Design = 2-6 weeks (depending on how complicated the design & how quickly the fabric arrives)
- Installation = 1 week
Total Time = 4 – 8 weeks
Hopefully this gives you the information you need to make a decision of when to start your planning & design for your next renovation project. Please keep in mind that renovation schedules can vary widely dependent on timely decisions, in stock materials, hiring reliable contractors and the size of the renovation (we can help make sure none of these potential delays happen to your project!). It’s always a good idea to start planning early, and allow some extra buffer time, so you don’t have ‘Wet Paint’ signs up when your guests arrive!
If you’re looking for more home renovation inspiration, check out these posts:
If you’re ready to get started planning updates for your home, schedule a consultation, or give us a call for your free initial consultation (309) 755-0045